Bolton Against Racism rally next Sat outside town hall 12 noon - 1pm banners, petitions to sign, information about local refugee support work and a collection point to support refugee aid convoy being organised by local Bolton charity, WAVE - please come along to show your support.
What can we do locally to support the refugees? Some suggestions here:
1) Give clothes and food locally to go to those at Calais: Graham Wood is collecting donations on behalf of local charity WAVE to deliver to refugees at Calais. Items wanted include winter clothes, blankets, sleeping bags, fleeces, tins of food, tin openers, pots and pans, toiletries and anything else useful for those camping out. Collection point for donations: Brownlow Fold Community Learning Centre Eskrick Street, Bolton, BL1 3EF (and probably also Deane & Derby + Westhoughton Community Learning Centre). Contact Graham 01204 482905 or check out WAVEAdventures on Facebook
2) Remember the practical needs of those already living in destitution in Bolton: support the Destitution Project at Victoria Hall, every Wednesday 10am - 3pm
3) Write to your MP - 38 degrees has a model letter here: https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaig…/refugees-speakout
4) Take a selfie with a 'refugees welcome' sign and post it on Facebook or Instagram
5) Sign the petition to Bolton Council - https://you.38degrees.org.uk/p…/refugees-welcome-in-bolton-6
6) Offer emergency fostering for unaccompanied refugee children: register your home on http://www.homeforgood.org.uk/refugees
7) Write a positive letter to the Bolton News - and respond to myths and negative comments wherever you hear them
8) Encourage local landlords to provide housing for refugees: http://www.citizensuk.org/help_find_homes_for_syrian_refuge…
The annual Tory Party Conference is a perfect chance for activists, the alternative media and the public to come together and create direct action plans to eradicate this government and their inhumane actions which are killing people.
This year, they're returning to Manchester Central and the Midland Hotel for four days of speeches, debates and receptions, and a packed schedule of fringe events, including a busy exhibition.
Party members will get to hear the Prime Minister's closing speech and there will be opportunities to raise awareness on important social issues because the mainstream media will be there. ;)
A great chance to show these politicians that their policies are not welcome here in Manchester or the rest of the UK.
We're going to make it perfectly clear that they're not welcome here whilst simultaneously addressing many of the problems that we face in society due to legislation imposed by the Conservative government.
Everyone is welcome.
Everyone is affected.
At the Green Fish Resource Centre, 46-50 Oldham Street, Mcr M4 1LE - As we prepare for the end of summer, this meeting we will be going over our future plans, and fine-tuning our up-and coming actions. Prepare to be recruited for an action, or (if you're super busy) just to bring your fine selves. As it all gets very serious, very often, we've decided to end the evening with some wine and cheese and lovely conversation. Due to this the meeting will be cut off at an hour, so we hope to have a fast-paced action-planning session! Bring a bottle, and your favourite cheese, and we hope to see you there!