The story of the club begins in the 1880s with Tom France who sold hot peas around the streets of Bolton.
In January 1886 Tom announced in the weekly Social Democratic Federation (SDF) paper 'Justice' that he would be glad to hear from any friends wanting to help with the formation of a branch of the federation in the town.
The SDF had started in London five years earlier, the first real socialist organisation in Britain (20 years before the founding of the Labour Party).
By September 1886 a Bolton branch had been formed with thirty members including Matt Phair and Joe Shufflebotham.
It met at Tom Frances house in Church St (behind St George's Rd) and so the embryonic Socialist club was born.